- last updated 10/10/2019
On April 17, 2019, the MIT Community (students, faculty, staff) voted to select one of three options presented by the Institute for making adjustments to the IAP and/or spring term academic calendars to enable a longer summer period and move Commencement into late-May most years. The selected option will be implemented during the 2019-2020 academic year.
Summary of Selected Option
- IAP stays the same but Spring Reg Day is moved to the last day of IAP, Friday, January 31.
- First day of spring classes on Monday (February 3) instead of Tuesday.
- Tuesday of Patriots' Day weekend is no longer a class holiday.
- Four days of finals (instead of five) that straddle a weekend. First day is on Friday, May 15 and the next three on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday of final exam week (May 18-20).
- Drop-dead grade deadline moved to noon on Friday of final exam week (May 22) instead of the Tuesday after Memorial Day.
- Shorter administrative time after finals (from 12 to 7 days)